April 12, 2011

Fabric,

I've found some fabric!


As mentioned in this post, I had been on the look out for fabrics with a retro theme.  One pattern I have always found to be synonymous with the 1950's, alongside Lucienne Day's prints is crosshatch.  Before Orla Kiely came along, I always equated crosshatch patterning with those old fashioned formica kitchen surfaces.  Alexander Henry's 'in the kitchen' range was ideal.  I got mine from Fabricshack as they have a half price shipping deal on at the moment, for overseas shipping (like me, I'm in the UK) they are doing $7 (that's about £4.20) for a flat fee priority envelope, which will fit in roughly 9 yards of fabric!  Very good price if you ask me.  I threw in some teeny tiny zoo too, it's cute!

Unlike many of my craft blogging friends, I have quite a small stash of fabrics that I work from,


and some of these have been acquired from clothing.  Things run a bit differently when it comes to felted wool though...


this is just my collection of off white, cream and beige.  I keep thinking I should put together some scrap packs of it to sell on Etsy just so the shelf stops bowing under the weight!

6 comments:

{schlawittchen} said...

Wow, your fabric stash is really tiny ;).

I saw that fabric before and didn't really like it, but now as I see it in a new context I really like it. I think it totally matches your style (which I love, by the way)!

Plushpussycat said...

Wow! Love the fabric! Is that going to go on your stuffies? :-)

MissGinger said...

what fabulous fabric - what you going to do with it? can you bare to cut it? looking forward to seeing. xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

what treasure you have in your house, I find wool jumpers quite hard to come by for a good price around here so would love to see your packs arriving in your shop :-)

Quietly Otaku said...

Cute fabric love the animal print! I love Lucienne Day's prints, did you know she also design ceramics too? Love how graphically striking her work was.

Rachel said...

wow, them prints are really adorable. I have a large fabric pile building up.. but I just don't have the heart to cut into them sometimes! Etsy seems the way to go, I might just give it a try :)

Rx